Periodontal Therapy in Ballston Spa,NY
Dr. Dreher Can Help Patients Experience Rejuvenated Oral Health
You may be surprised to hear that today, a stunning 80% of the adult population in North America suffers from some level of periodontal disease. When you’re in need of treatment for this potentially dangerous condition, it’s important for your dentist to identify exactly what kind of infection it is. If a cleaning is performed without this being done, it can send the microorganisms into your bloodstream and unintentionally cause damage to the rest of your body. Here at the Ballston Spa practice of Dr. Fred Dreher, we aren’t just interested in helping preserve the health of your teeth – we also want to be your trusted partners as your work towards overall wellness. That’s why Dr. Dreher has developed a new and advanced technique for diagnosing and treating periodontal disease.
How do I know if I’m suffering from periodontal disease?
The most common signs of periodontal disease include:
- Red or swollen gums
- Tender or bleeding gums
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away
- Loose teeth
- Teeth that appear longer (this could mean your gums are receding)
Additionally, common risk factors include:
- Smoking (this is the #1 risk factor associated with periodontal disease, and it even reduces how effective any treatment you undergo will be)
- Hormonal changes in girls/women (the gums become more sensitive during this time)
- Having diabetes (patients with diabetes are more prone to all infections, including gum infections)
- Taking certain medications (medications often reduce saliva flow, which is an important mechanism that helps keep your mouth clean and free of infection)
- Heart problems
- Chronic illness
How can you help me?
In order to pinpoint the cause of gum disease in patients as precisely as possible, Dr. Dreher relies on a phase contrast microscope with an attached camera and TV monitor. This allows him to identify and target the organisms living in your gums, whether they’re bacteria, fungi, or parasites. Once our team has made an accurate diagnosis, we can provide a personalized treatment plan, which may include antibiotics, herbal products, antiseptics, and/or additional dental care. Dr. Dreher has spent over twenty years searching for healthier and more accurate ways of treating his patients, and he’s happy to pass on his valuable findings to you!
Contact our Ballston Spa office to schedule an appointment with our team. We can’t wait to provide you with personalized and comprehensive dental care that helps improve not just your smile, but your overall health. We also welcome new patients from the areas of Watervliet, Glens Falls, Schenectady, Gloversville, Saratoga Springs, Cohoes, and beyond.